Here’s what’s happening this week around the world:-
- June 5th – Gene Cernan made the second American spacewalk spending 2 hrs 7 mins outside Gemini 9. During this time, the spacecraft made one complete orbit of the earth. The Gemini craft landed safely the next day.
- Indian Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi announced a devaluation of the Rupee by 36.5%
- DIED: Edward Arthur Carr – Governor of Nigeria 1947-54
- June 6th – DIED: Claudette Frady-Orbison, aged 25, wife of Roy Orbison. She was riding a motorbike with her husband, when a pickup truck struck them, killing her and injuring him.
- June 7th – DIED: Norman Baillie-Stewart. British Army Officer who defected to Nazi Germany and assisted in English Language propaganda broadcasts during WWII. He became known as one of the men associated with the nickname ‘Lord Haw-Haw’.
- June 9th – Benjamin Britten’s work ‘The Burning Fiery Furnace’ premiered at Orford Church in Suffolk.
- June 10th – Janis Joplin made her debut appearing with Big Brother and the Holding Company in San Francisco.
Frank Sinatra held the Number 1 spot in the UK with ‘Strangers in the Night’.
And here’s what’s going on in Oxshott:-
Sunday 5th June 1966
Gillian carried out her first ‘duty’ at Church today – she carried up the offerings to the Altar. Cyril is very busy planting out. Not nearly so hot today – in fact, quite a cool breeze.
Monday 6th June 1966
Back to school.
Children went off quite happily. Cyril had to go to Liverpool. I worked till 1:30 and brought some home. Cyril got back at 8:30. I’d had a field day – polished floors etc. and mowed the lawns. Went to Knipp Hill (most likely for Penny Nairne‘s clothing exchange) before school came out.
Tuesday 7th June 1966
Another fine day – we haven’t had the rain which is forecast yet. Cyril had a meeting in town but was in for lunch at 1pm. I had to go back to the office as there was a great deal of work piling up.
Wednesday 8th June 1966
Very tired – have washed three blankets this evening – amongst other things. Worked all afternoon. Very hot, thundery weather. No call from Joan for a long time. Will rang this evening confirming Saturday’s trip.
Thursday 9th June 1966
½ day from school.
Cyril to Cardiff.
Very hot again and thundery. We’ve had a most pleasant afternoon out at Eileen Lister’s. All had tea outside – the children played in paddling pools while Eileen and I had a game of badminton. Joan rang this evening.
Friday 10th June 1966
Managed to go to Esher during the lunch hour – with Gloria, so did most of the weekend shopping – Cyril was home soon after 5:30, so we went to Leatherhead after tea and finished off.
Saturday 11th June 1966
Nice day for our trip to Bath. We picked Eileen and Will up at Surbiton at 9am – good trip. We stopped and made coffee, then found a lovely spot for a picnic lunch. Saw Doris at 2pm. She hasn’t made any progress and is coming home on Saturday. Eileen gave the children 5/- (25p) each, so we spent two hours round the shops spending it!! Home about 10pm very tired!