This week in 1966:-
- 28th June – The British tanker, Alva Cape, which had exploded killing 33 people on June 16th, suffered another explosion whilst being unloaded of its remaining cargo, killing a further four people.
- BORN – John Cusack, American actor in Illinois.
- 29th June – Introduction of the first British Credit Card by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard is born!
- 30th June – France formally withdrew from NATO.
- BORN – Mike Tyson, American boxer.
- DIED – Giuseppe Farina, aged 59. Retired Italian racing driver. Killed in a car accident.
- DIED – Margery Allingham, British detective novelist and creator of Albert Campion.
- 1st July – Manuel Santana became the first Spanish winner of Wimbledon, defeating American Dennis Ralston in straight sets, 6-4, 11-9, 6-4.
- 2nd July – Billie Jean King won the first of her six Wimbledon singles titles, defeating Brazil’s Maria Bueno 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
Back in Oxshott:-
Sunday 26th June 1966
Children seem none the worse for their long day – they went to Sunday School. I did some washing. This afternoon the children and I went to Wisley with Leonard.
Monday 27th June 1966
The sweep was on time and away before we all left at 8:50 – Room is all straight again now. Have washed curtains etc. Went round to Knipp Hill this afternoon.
Tuesday 28th June 1966
Went back to work – shooting up the hours. Young Wives tonight – a talk by Baroness Edith de Ward (a local councillor), who was quite interesting, though I didn’t agree with all her sentiments! Mowed the lawns.
Wednesday 29th June 1966
Very nice day – almost like summer again. Letter from Ted this afternoon. Very busy at the office. Mr. Murray going on holiday tomorrow.
Thursday 30th June 1966
Saw the children’s work at school – afraid neither of them are very good workers. Played badminton afterwards. Only three of us turned up – so how we played. Phew!! Very hot afternoon. Have done some washing and defrosted the fridge.
Friday 1st July 1966
Another fine day. Cyril arrived home from Cardiff about 1:30pm – very hot and tired. I had to go back to the office. Mowed the lawns (again?) this evening.
Saturday 2nd July 1966
Had a good grocery spend up in Esher! Gillian went off to Brownie Revels – I managed to do the washing before we went. Cyril gave me a fiver to buy an anniversary present – I bought him a hose and sprinkler – at his request! Played Canasta.